Wednesday, August 14, 2013

How to Crochet Bicycle Basket Bunting....

Finally, finally, finally after many requests, I have written down the pattern for the bunting I used on my bike basket. So, here we go....

Materials
Assorted colours of cotton or cotton blend 8ply yarn.
3.5 mm crochet hook.

Abbreviations
 slst = slip stitch
dc = double crochet (or treble crochet in u.k. terms)
ch = chain
st/s = stitch/stitches
sc = single crochet (or double crochet in u.k. terms)

Notes
All rounds are worked in circles.
 Round 1. Chain 4 sts then slpst into the 1st ch.
 Round 2. Working into the circle, ch 3 then crochet 2 dc. Ch 2 then crochet 3 dc. Ch2 again and crochet another 3 dc. Slpst into the top of the 3 ch to close the circle. You will be left with 3 clusters of 3 dc.
Round 3. Ch 3 then crochet 2 dc back into the first gap left in the previous round so that you end up with a cluster of 3. 
Ch 1 and then crochet 3 dc into the next gap, ch 2 (to form a corner) and then crochet 3 dc back into the same gap. Ch 1 and then crochet 3 dc into the next gap, ch 2 (to form a corner) and then crochet 3 dc back into the same gap. 
Ch 1 and then crochet 3 dc into the next gap. Ch 2 then slpst into the top of the ch 3 to close the round. You will be left with 6 clusters of 3 forming a triangle.
Round 4. Ch 3 then crochet 2 dc back into the first gap left in the previous round so that you end up with a cluster of 3.
 Ch 1 and then crochet 3 dc into the next gap. Ch 1 and then crochet 3 dc into the following gap, ch 2 (to form a corner) and then crochet 3 dc back into the same gap.
 Ch 1 and then crochet 3 dc into the next gap, *ch 1 and crochet 3 dc into the same gap. *This is important as it sets up the right angle to transform it from a triangle to a pentagon.
 Ch 1 and then crochet 3 dc into the following gap. Ch 2 and then crochet 3 dc into the same gap. This forms the bottom point.
Ch 1 and then crochet 3 dc into the next gap, *ch 1 and crochet 3 dc into the same gap.
Ch 1 and then crochet 3 dc into the next gap. Ch 2 then slpst into the top of the ch 3 to close the round.
 And here it is!!!
To join the bunting together I single crocheted across the top, with 2 sc into each gap and 2sc into every 3dc cluster - so every gap and cluster should have 4 sc spread across.
 This particular string of bunting is to be used on a wall so I have chained 6 in between the pentagons. With the basket I chained once in between each piece.
 Aww, look at them huddled up together keeping warm.
Fini!
I then stitched the bunting on to the basket - too easy!
Good luck and if you have any questions, please leave them in the comment section below.
Lots of love,
Kate xxooxx.
p.s. I will do the roses and leaves another day - I just have to remember how I did them first!

15 comments:

  1. OH YAY YAY YAY!!!!
    I REALLY love this and have looked everywhere for a similar pattern!
    Whoop! I'll be making some straight away... just one small problem...I don't have a bike ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, oh my ... What gorgeous bunting! Makes me want to put all my other w.I.P's aside! Thanks for a gorgeous blog x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my dream bike!
    Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not surprised that you've had many requests - I'm always seeing your bike on pinterest :-)

    I'm having a great week, I shared my love for your blog here. (Their FB page has 10,600+ likes!)

    knitandstitchblog.co.uk/2013/08/14/blogger-of-the-month-july/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh FUN!! I'm in the process of yarn bombing my bike...I will definitely give this a go and add the bunting...Bunting is ALWAYS a good idea! Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so lovely! I would like to feature your bunting pattern and your yarn bombed bicycle on The Firefly Hook. Would you let me know if that's okay and if I can use the photo from this post? The photo will link back to your post and our readers will view it from your page.

    Warmly,
    Abbey (for The Firefly Hook)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh that's lovely ... you make it look very manageable! :-D I just got a scooter for my birthday (a grown-up one!!) and I've started with a little yarny bling: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/daisy-k/crochet-flowers-and-leaves But it needs a basket and then I can do your bunting. Awesome, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Round 3 of the pattern is so confusing. I never have room to close the round. Could you advise me more clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the beautiful inspiration here and as a contributor to "Craft Bomb Your Bike." After seeing your colorful work, I yarn bombed mine with a crocheted seat cover, knit grip covers, embroidered owl on my basket, and painted helmet! Pics online at http://susiequte.blogspot.com/2014/07/craft-achievement-unlocked-craft-bomb.html.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved it so I shared it!
    here: http://twineanchorandthyme.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/web-wandering-and-coffee-sipping-pt-4/

    Thank you! xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kate, thank you so much for the instructions on how to make this awesome bunting, I made it and post it on my blog here:
    http://alifefullofpassions.blogspot.com/2015/03/crochet-project-from-pinterest.html I just love it! do you have the instructions for the rest? flowers and the other things that cover the bike? I would love to make them also, thank you so much again :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This blog is great my friend keep it going and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to make the flowers have you ever made a tutorial for them?
    kindest Regards Sara

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails